Register Register  Login Login
  Search 

Savannah Fishing Report - Miss Judy Charters

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Captain Judy View Drop Down
Guides & Charters
Guides & Charters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Captain Judy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Savannah Fishing Report - Miss Judy Charters
    Posted: 11/Aug/2016 at 2:50pm
  Captain Judy Helmey  
Kicking Fish Tail Since 1956! 124 Palmetto Drive Savannah, Georgia 31410  912 897 4921or 912 897 2478 912 897 3460 fax  Fishjudy2@aol.com
  August 6, 2016   
Saltwater Inshore, Offshore, Blue Water fishing reports, Freshies Suggestions, and “Little Miss Judy’s Believe It or Not story!   Thanks for Reading!  
Fishing statement: To try to insure that fishing stays in the hearts of those that love it and to help the ones that are going too!  

Big tiger shark paid Miss Judy Too a visit!

Last week while trolling at the CCA artificial reef I saw this whether large tiger shark!  Although this picture does not do the size of this shark justice I can officially concur that it definitely was a very large tiger!  With trolling lines out making way at about 6 knots I noticed out on the starboard side a large shark and it was heading away from me.  I quickly came about and so did the shark.  Thanks goodness, I had time to grab my camera and take the picture along with several more.  It seemed while I was watching it, it was watching me!   The bottom line to this report is that it is official that larger sharks really do love to cruise by the Miss Judy Too!

Ben brought along his fly rod and Captain Kevin brought his fishing equipment

While fishing with Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters Ben Kornblatt caught, fought and released this nice red fish.  Ben and Grant Lane (see his picture below) chartered Captain Kevin to do a little inshore catching.  Yes at first they chartered Kevin’s boat to do a little fishing and as you can see this turned to catching.  How did they do it?  Ben’s plan all along was to do a little fly fishing, which he did.  He caught a few on bait and he pitched to quite a few with the fly.  Captain Kevin is now using the “buggy whip effect” to catch his fish on the fly. Now I am not a fly fisherman, but I listened a bit while Captain Kevin was explaining and then I took a look on the internet.  Now my version of this type of fishing most likely will not be so technical.  It seems that to buggy whip your fly you need to be able to quickly and repeatedly place it in the fish’s strike zone.  And it is best to purchase a fly rod that is built with buggy whip capabilities.   Ok I have gone too far...and I know I am going to get some back lash from this.  However, I had to explain my rendition of this style of fly fishing.  And I can say without a doubt it works!

Best live baits are going to be shrimp..
However, you might find keeping them alive another story...so if you don’t “got live shrimp” I suggest using the ever hard to kill in most situation mud minnows.  Another bait that is great is juvenile finger mullet...this is another hardy bait...you might not get as many hits on the mud minnows or finger mullet.  However, the hits that you do get are going to be good ones.  With it being summer time, there are a lot
of other biters down under...while using live shrimp you are sometimes attacked by “Fetish fish!”  What are “fetish fish?”  It is so simple to describe these fish...they are the smaller hungry versions of any juvenile fish.  Why call them this?  Well, they attacked your bait one piece at a time...so therefore the eyes, legs, antenna, tail, head, and any other small appendages are the first to go...and what does this leave you with?  Not much but a truly naked shrimp abdomen!  Please don’t discard this cleaned part; it will work as great bait for plain old bottom fishing.  

While inshore fishing with Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters Grant Lane Savannah Georgia caught and released this nice red fish. What did it eat?  The particular fish preferred mud minnow under popping cork!  The best scenario is Grant got to catch it, the fish got to eat the bait, and then it was released unharmed back to the wild!  So therefore Ben and Grant had a feeding, fighting, catching, and releasing kind of a fishing day! All that is left to say now is Thanks Captain Kevin Rose for taking them to the right spot and also to Ben and Grant for knowing what to do once they arrived!

Captain Garrett Ross of Miss Judy Charters is showing fishermen the catching way!

George Edwards Savannah, Georgia is holding a nice spotted sea trout  and Captain Garrett Ross of Miss Judy Charters is showing us some fine fishing catching smiles!   

Jim Oshea Savannah Georgia is holding a nice spotted sea trout!  While fishing with Captain Garrett Ross of Miss Judy Charters George, believe me, caught more than one!  

Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters scores with fish and fishermen!  

Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters

While fishing with Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters Richard Plattner Eureka, MO along with his fishing buddy Jason Beste Washington, MO had one blast of a catching day. According to their fishing report they caught a little of everything thanks to Captain Kevin.  I have to admit it is pretty neat when the customers come to the office, look at the Georgia Marine fishes chart, and are able to point out exactly what they caught.  The best news is that there are lots of different species in our areas.  And on this particular day they caught quite a few different styles fish including the classics!  What is a style of fish?  Well, let me explain, It could be a juvenile to an adult, no matter what, it still counts!   

Jason Beste Washington, MO is holding up a nice Spanish mackerel that could no pass up his live shrimp bait offering.  It is true, while fishing with Captain Kevin Rose of Miss Judy Charters you really do not what you might catch where!  Although we do see Spanish mackerel haphazardly jumping (catching air)  in the rivers and sounds we don’t really catch that many while in the spotted sea trout fishing mode.  However, when we do a great fish fights are delivered!    
Plain old bottom fishing in the sound! I have been doing a lot of bottom fishing in the sound and I have to report that sometimes they bite and sometimes they don’t!  And of course that is why I it is call fishing and not catching!  However, I can report that we caught some of the biggest whiting this past week that I have seen in a while.     

Allison Norman, before releasing this whiting, she decided to give her fish a little kiss!    Inshore water temperatures are quite warm with some cases almost reaching the big 90 degrees mark.    Heck, if you live here you already know that, but those that don’t!   I am always suggesting to my customers that after being out on the water that you they just jump in the pool or take an ocean swim.  My customers are even complaining that the pool water to not comfortable and the ocean water is also on the very warm side. Well, Well that is because it is full blown summer! 

Artificial Reefs Trolling  Top water fish such as king mackerel, Spanish mackerel, and barracuda can be found lurking in these areas.  Trolling with Clark (0 or 00) or Drone spoons (11/2 to 31/2) is the way to go especially if you want bites to happen!  Bottom Fishing!

As far as bottom fishing, well it can happen, but not a lot of the black sea bass are legal to keep, but still lots of fun to catch.  Black sea bass has to be 13 inch tail length to keep and have a bag limit of 5 per person.    

This photo was taken while heading out to the snapper banks this past week. While my autopilot did its job of keeping the Miss Judy Too on track I was able to take this picture.  And what is this?  Well, it is a water spout that lasted over 40 minutes before dissipating!  It has its moments of being stronger one minute and not so the next.  However, the funnel always looked full to the brim with ocean water.  I tried to get closer so that I could see any sharks were whirling around in the funnel. I did not see any..However, I still said “Sharknato or Not!”

Captain Kathy Brown is holding a black jack, which was caught while plain old bottom fishing at the Snapper Banks.  

Ben Kornblatt is holding up a large trigger fish, which he caught while working the bottom! 

A tiger by the tail oops maybe not! 

This is the perfect line for this picture:  “Shark Tails! It’s not like having a tiger by the tail, but rather a big shark!”  It took us about 45 minutes to get this tail first to the boat.  Yes the hook was removed and yes the shark was released unharmed!

Little Miss Judy’s Believe It or Not!”   August 7, 2016                                             Chuck Edward Fischer  

Now here’s a motley crew for sure!  From the left to the right:  Captain Sherman I Helmey, (1901-1993) Captain Chuck Edward Fischer, Captain Judy Helmey and Kitty Strozier. (1949-2006) I just bet the three of them are up there together right now!  

Dear Family,  
I was so very sadden by the lost of my old time friend Chuckie.  Although we haven’t spent a lot of time together lately we definitely did in the seventies and eighties.  However, when we did see each other it was normally a quick walk down memory lane. 

In the seventies and eighties Chuck and I spent lots of time doing carpentry work for Jim Rush Enterprises, going out on his house boat, and riding around in his old car.  I believe it was a Buick, but not sure.  All I remember is that it was big and we called it the land barge.  I do remember Chuckie telling me that he found a lifetime warranty from Minus Mufflers in the glove box.  And what did he do?  Well, he took the old car by for an inspection of the exhaust system and he got big thumbs up from the inspector.  He laughed, “It was free too!”  

If there ever was a true MacGyver it certainly could have been Chuckie!  He knew just about anything you cared to ask him.  Quite often he would come down to our house to help us with the boats.   My father (Captain Sherman I Helmey) was a grand mechanic and he had his ways for sure.  However, when Chuckie arrived at his own conclusion my father tended to listen even though he acted like he did not!  I remember this one time that my father and Chuckie were on the Miss Jerry, which was tied to our dock.   I am setting the stage..Daddy was at the helm and Chuckie was lying face down on the engine.  After making a few adjustments to who knows
what, Chuckie said crank her up.  Daddy while sitting at the helm pushed the cranking button and the caterpillar cranked up perfectly.  However, there were a couple of things that happened and I mean fast.  Back in these days you could crank your boat in gear And in some cases this might happen when you weren’t ready for it.  Well, when daddy cranked the boat, the throttle wasn’t in idle and the gear handle was in forward.  Chuckie did such a great job of getting the Miss Jerry cranked that she just took off.  When I heard Daddy’s engine crank, I stood up just as all of this unfolded.  The first thing that happened was the boat raced forward pulling out both of the 4x4’s dock corner as if they were tooth pick size.  With dock lines dragging 4by4 posts, they grazed the neighbor’s dock and then were headed for the next.  All the while Chuckie was trying to get up to help get control of the boat...Somehow Chuckie did manage to get to the helm and shut the boat down before it hit the next neighbors dock.  After that, they pulled the boat back around to the dock while dragging the dock lines that were still tied to the 4by4’s.  Once at the dock we all did quite a quick make shift so that we could tie the boat up.  My father as he most always did was wearing his standard white t-shirt.  When he turned his back to us we all looked and could see Chuckie’s foot print on the back of daddy’s shirt.  While holding a beer Chuckie said, “Sorry Sherman, there was only one way to the helm, which was up and over your back!”   
I will miss seeing Chuckie out and around the Island with that signature smile on his face! He will always be remembered by me through all of the things that we did prompting the stories that we told!  My sincere condolences go out to the Fisher Family! 

Captain Judy Helmey, Savannah, Georgia  

Chuck Edward Fischer and Captain Judy Helmey making way to Bear Island to see the monkeys! And what were the monkeys names according to Chuckie:  Jigs, Mrs. Jigs, and baby Jigs!  

www.missjudycharters.com

Edited by Captain Judy - 11/Aug/2016 at 3:09pm
"Kicking Fish Tail Since 1956!"

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic