Register Register  Login Login
  Search 

Best Fishing Trip EVER - Stellwagon Bank

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Black Rose Fishing View Drop Down
Guides & Charters
Guides & Charters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Black Rose Fishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Fishing Trip EVER - Stellwagon Bank
    Posted: 10/Sep/2012 at 4:15pm
Sunday, August 26, 2012

Best trip ever. Ever. We started off trolling for tuna off of Peaked Hill.. Amazing whale show. Maybe 60 whales feeding, but nothing happening for tuna. The trolling was relaxing, though. Heading north with the whales to the SEC, we want to bend some rods... Time for cod... Not deep water cod, so I head up to Joel area. It's maybe 260..we get into the cod and haddock pretty good.. Lots of small haddock, though. Lots. That was cool, but I want something bigger. We move onto some structure a couple of miles away. It's perfect weather.

So we have 1/2 bucket of thawed chum left from yesterday and a bunch of mackerel at the bottom of the cooler. I put out one Okuma Makaira 50...not a 50 wide, not the 80 I have down below, not the 50 wide with 100# tuf line hollow core and 130# topshot....Nope, I expect nothing more than a blue shark eventually, maybe.

15 minutes late the balloon screams back at the boat. I grab the rod as everyone is on the bottom. I come tight and scream "REEL IN!!! IT'S A MONSTER!" We clear the lines and what happens next is a blur! I don't know who took the rod or anything. We're getting spooled again! After an hour of passing the rod around, we have everything "in control". Ok, we have mono back in sight and we have a feeling of what's going on. It's big..I'm thinking big mako again....It's now about noon and the guys are doing great; we have the reel set at full and about 30 pounds of drag. We're not breaking this fish off and this is a lot of drag. Well, not enough drag...After almost 3 hours (I've already radioed to another boat to call my wife...we'll be late).. I ask if I can give it a try. "We were hoping you said that."

After another 30 minutes we get the fish close...I want visual before unleashing the harpoon to see what it is. We have no idea...YELLOW FINLETS!!! "It's a giant tuna!!!"...I think the fish heard me... dammit. down it goes....I'm on the fish for another hour. The whole time, I'm palming the spool, pulling in line with a gloved hand to gain on it. My legs and back are going numb. I'm not losing this fish. It dives...It's under the boat 100' down...then it's almost on the bottom in 180' of water. I'm done. Roy, my mate takes over.

Roy gets the credit for this fish at this point. I've never seen anyone battle so hard in my life. Sorry Dom, this was sick. Another hour later the fish is on the surface, 20' off of the starboard bow.. After a quick shot at it on the harpoon (not a good shot), William steps up big time with the poon. He nailed it in the back of the head and button hooked it!!! I was on the rope at that time and Roy had it on the rod....getting the fish in.....DONE! Block and tackle to get her overboard...98" long, but skinny....only 405 dressed. With some fat, it could have dressed out high 400's....That's ok. We landed it on an Okuma Makaira 50!!!! A 50!!!

Black Rose Fishing Charters specializes in small, private fishing charters. Our rates are very affordable and it is much easier to put together a smaller charter. We are based in Green Harbor, but we fish all of Cape Cod, Massachusetts Bay, Plymouth Bay, and Buzzards Bay. We target all species of fish, depending on season. We fish for "groundfish", which means cod, haddock, pollack, wolf fish, cusk, hake, halibut, and redfish. We would fish for sharks every day if we could and we catch blue sharks, makos, threshers, and porbeagles. We love it. Because of the design of our boat, we can have 4 people casting at one time very easily. We love fishing for bluefin tuna (casting, jigging, and trolling), striped bass, and bluefish. We have a fast boat, full cabin, and comfortable ride. See you out there!

http://www.blackrosefishing.com

Capt. Rich Antonino, Black Rose Fishing Charters Specializing in Small (1-4 person) Chartersht htp://www.blackrosefishing.com, Tuna, Cod, Haddock, Stripers, and, our favorite, SHARKS
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic