Register Register  Login Login
  Search 

Gran Canarian Fishing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
costadelcarping View Drop Down
Guides & Charters
Guides & Charters

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote costadelcarping Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Gran Canarian Fishing
    Posted: 29/Nov/2011 at 9:02pm
Fishing Gran Canaria
By Dave Beecham

I thought this would be an interesting way to start this long awaited article about fishing in Gran Canaria.

A little about me. I began fishing at the age of seven. My school friend introduced me to fishing and looking back;what would I have done without it! As no-one fished in my family, my dad took time out to take me on his own. He was not an angler - he was either patient or had a lot of time on his hands; which he didn’t! He just saw a happy child with a rod in his hand. Thanks, Dad!

I fished for every species until I was 14years old, when I caught my first common carp. After that, I never looked back. I have spent 31 years in search of these fish all over Europe, America, Canada and of course, Gran Canaria. I had many a girlfriend turn their back on me, until I met my wife Alison; someone who was happy for me to go fishing rather than be in the pub, so here we are today with the business. I always knew this would happen!

I think all in all, I have fished around 9 lakes on the island. I think Lake Chira was probably the most important lake with carp anglers from all over Europe, before the big exodus to France and mainland Europe. In those days, a 30lb fish was big but nowadays there are guys hunting fish twice that size. To think in 1981, Chris Yeate’s Redmire fish at 51lbs was a world record from England, truly huge. Now there are hundreds of 50lb carp but not here, apart from a few special lakes near Las Palmas, where I truly believe there are some uncaught monsters. Real fish. Old fish; gaining weight through natural food, not the fisherman’s bait.

Presa de Chira
I came to Gran Canaria to fish some 20 years ago, when Rod Hutchinson and Kevin Nash, now famous carp anglers, made their journey to fish Presa de Chira. In those days, there were really big fish. I know of a mid 50lb being caught way back then! Today, you will find that the big fish are mainly female, heavily spawned, holding at least 10lb extra weight. As the lake is lightly fished, we will never know how big the biggest fish are! The lake is 80 acres, with maybe 6 rods a day. Unless we pick the lucky card, we will never, ever know!

For some unknown reason, it’s always the guys that have never fished it who say these fish are not in there! Oh yes, they are! We bait up every day to give every client the best chance to catch fish and I think it has worked. I know catching fish is not guaranteed, but with our catch rating we are obviously doing something right!

Shown are a selection of photos of the event for Royal fishing, which we covered in the RTN. We managed to raise €150,000 for a charity called Kinderlife, for deprived children in Europe. In the near future, we will be running excursions by helicopter with ISLAS HELICOPTERS. It will take 6 minutes to get to the lake, so if you don’t fancy 1 hour by jeep, for an extra supplement you can travel VIP style!

I hope you enjoyed the article. Until next time...

Edited by costadelcarping - 29/Nov/2011 at 9:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic